Cox Communications is searching for an HFC Access Designer I to perform GIS mapping and designs for hybrid fiber-coax (HFC) and fiber optic networks utilizing applicable design related software(s). Also responsible for network planning to review bandwidth utilization, powering and node sizing for future forecasting considerations. Work closely with 3rd party contract labor to meet specified SLA timeframes.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and design large high visibility projects in market or region
- Creates accurate network drawings and detailed electronic construction documentation.
- Prepares layouts, drawings, and designs according to engineering specifications using applicable design software.
- Prepares high-level bill of materials using mapping software.
- Provides ongoing support to other departments as needed in the effective use of all peripheral applications.
- Updates As-Builts as construction is completed and releases the area.
- Makes design decisions regarding construction and safety methods according to appropriate Cox, FCC, OSHA, NEC, NESC, VDOT, BOCA, Land Use Manual, and local, state and federal regulations and procedures.
- Demonstrates basic ability and clear understanding of Radio Frequency, Power and fiber design.
- Quality check completed 3rd party contract labor to ensure efficient HFC coax and fiber design
- Manage incoming project(s)/tasks to ensure on time completion of SLA timeframes
- Communicate effectively to boundary partner and contract labor to meet SLA timeframes
- Produce accurate project deliverables as outlined within internal Cox Standardized Work Package Output Requirements.
- May estimate material and labor costs for special projects for fiber and coax up to the patch panel or customer premise.
- May be responsible for fiber availability and ring capacity checks and determination of reinforcement requirements.
- May coordinate project planning and site surveys with sales personnel, utility companies, commercial building engineers, contractors, utility locators, state and county representatives and Cox crews as necessary to include designing service to new and existing residential properties and commercial facilities.
- Maintain an open line of communication between internal and external teammates, leadership, and internal and external customers (when applicable)
- Create redline conduit routing drawings for placement by construction teams
- Draft and document aerial and underground plant for assigned tasks
- Complete assigned system design tasks related to HFC Coax and Fiber based off of field site survey drawings using programs GE Smallwood, MapInfo, Google Earth and Lode Data.
- Serve as technical liaison for construction planning, fiber splicing, Access Engineering, Sales Engineering and Project Management teams by providing necessary information as needed.
- Maintain understanding of changes in project specs, procedures, policies, etc.
- Attend team and departmental meetings as needed
- May require travel to other offices or regions for meetings and workshops
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma/GED and up to 2 years of experience in a related field .
- Strong knowledge in related field in the telecommunication industry, drafting, carrier (wireline or wireless), engineering or IT.
- Knowledge of GE Small world or related technology
- Must have strong computer skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (outlook, word, excel, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and maintain a positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, relationship building, self-motivation, resourcefulness, self-starter, time management, organization, attention to detail, quality orientation, and collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout the organization.
- Advanced analytical abilities
- Basic mathematical abilities
- Ability to learn, synthesize, and apply new information on a regular basis
- AS/AA, or Technical Certification in related discipline desired (i.e., Design, Drafting, Electronics, Civil Engineering)
- Experience in HFC or Fiber Design; GIS, mapping, permitting, AutoCAD, Lode Data, GNIS, GE Smallwood, Adobe Acrobat
USD 27.79 - 41.73 per hour
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That's a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you're interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses - which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications - is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page .
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
To apply to this job, click Apply Now
Looking for remote jobs near your area? At Yulys, thousands of employers are looking for exceptional talent like yours. Find your perfect fit now.